After this year's never-ending winter (thanks, Polar Vortex!), many of us are more than happy to see that summer is officially here! Instead of bundling up in our winter coats, it's time to bust out the shorts and flip-flops!
Here are some tips and tricks to keep you staying cool this summer!
1. Time your activities for the cooler parts of the day- try to accomplish your outside activities (lawncare, exercise, etc.) for the coolest parts of the day- early in the morning or early in the evening. Stay inside when the sun is at its peak and the temperature is at its highest.
2. Avoid cooking with your stove or oven- instead, use your microwave to avoid spreading the heat throughout your house. Also, eat more cold foods (salads, fruits, dairy products) and break up your meals throughout the day. Your body doesn't have to work as hard (or generate as much heat) when it is digesting smaller amounts of food compared to large meals.
3. Wear loose-fitting clothing- bonus points if your clothes are light-colored to reflect the sun's heat!
4. Stay hydrated!!- Drink lots of water throughout the day. Be aware of how much caffeine and alcohol you drink as both of these contribute to dehydration.
5. And finally, if you can't beat the heat, stay out of it! Check out these local establishments for ways to keep cool when the heat becomes too unbearable!
- Freeport Public Library- Pick up a good book (and enjoy the air-conditioning)! Check out the library's website for information on upcoming events- http://www.freeportpubliclibrary.org/
- Lindo Theatre- Take in a movie at the Lindo Theatre in downtown Freeport! Catch a movie on Tuesdays for a discounted price of $5.00. Check out movie times here- http://www.classiccinemas.com/location.aspx?house=2257
- Union Dairy- Cool off with a sweet treat at Union Dairy, Freeport's local ice cream parlor!
- Read Park Pool- Go for a swim at the Read Park Family Aquatic Center! Information about park admission and hours can be found here- http://freeportparkdistrict.org/parks/read-park-family-aquatic-center/
Stay cool, have fun, and enjoy your summer!